Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pre-Law School Advice

I was thinking of some things that those who are applying to law school and those who have been accepted should know prior to the start of classes that I wanted/needed to know too. The steps it takes to even apply to law school seem difficult when it's really only as hard as you make it.

First let's talk about the LSAT...
  1. It sucks. It's ridiculously long and you are internally panicking the entire time knowing this stupid test stands between you and law schools. Why the test needs to be that long and timed so ridiculously fast I will never understand.
  2. Studying for it is a must. Part of me thought it was as ridiculous to study for as the SAT (I never studied for that test), but since you can only take the LSAT twice in your life, I decided some extra effort was necessary and I was right. I did buy a Kaplan study book that came with a CD, practice tests, and access to online tutors (for free!).
  3. Take all the practice tests you can, but not so many that you aren't studying how to do the test. I took advantage of the Kaplan free practice test given at the university. This was an actual proctored test that was a 'mock-LSAT,' so everything was as similar to an actual test day as possible. I actually scored really well on this test and was pretty excited by my results... too bad those results couldn't be my actual score.
  4. Make sure you read & re-read the rules about what you can and cannot bring to the LSAT test. I actually saw someone turned away from the test for forgetting something... I think it was an ID or something painfully obvious to bring. I sort of felt bad for the guy, but part of me was like really dude?
  5. Research the testing site you have signed up to take the LSAT from. Call the school/library/wherever it is and find out if any classes or events will be around your LSAT testing room. This was my LSAT mistake that I'm not sure is entirely avoidable, but maybe my experience will help someone else. Unfortunately, on the day of my actual LSAT the community college it was being held at also had summer classes going on in the surrounding classrooms. The testing room was also located just above the front door of the school and a popular smoking hang out. The high traffic area was ridiculously noisy. I can tell you that a math class was in the classroom next to mine and I know exactly what chapter they were on. In fact, it was so loud our proctor let us know he would go ask them to be quiet if needed... as if any of us had time to do that during the test. This was not normal and was really unacceptable testing conditions.
  6. For whatever the reason may be, whether you think you just didn't do well or you had a similar horrible experience like I did, you do have the option to not keep your score, however in order to throw it out you are never given access to see what you actually made on it. I wish I had A. thrown out my score or B. complained about the testing conditions. I did not score as well as I had on every practice test I'd previously taken and I know it was due to testing conditions. Personally, I need almost complete silence to take a test and hearing how to add 1 + 1 while working on a reading comprehension just didn't help me at all. 
  7. It feels like it takes forever to get your score back and well, it kind of does since we are a "want it right now" society. If I remember right it was over 2 months before I got my score. The first few days after the test were the most difficult for me, all I could do was think of how badly I wanted my score and whether or not those ten times I changed my answer if I should have or not. You might as well get used to the waiting game though because waiting for answers to your law school applications is just a painful.
  8. When the score comes in you're going to be really happy or really disappointed. Maybe there's a middle feeling in there, but most people have high standards for themselves (like I do) and anything less than your standard can be a disappointment. My score was incredibly disappointing, but completely average. I really thought I had that test in the bag- especially since it had more reading comprehension (my strength) on it than logic games (my weakness). Despite my disappointment, I decided to not retake the LSAT and apply to the schools of my choice. I only had two schools that I was determined to be accepted to and I had a pretty good chance to go to either of them with my score, my GPA, and what I considered a pretty strong personal statement.
Law School Application Process
  1. Get started early. I can't stress that enough. You need at least two recommendation letters, preferably from professors or business colleagues that can speak of your character//work ethic//etc. It sounds like an easy task, we all have friends/professors/colleagues who we've made connections with, however you may find yourself surprised by who will or will not take the time to write a recommendation for you. And by the way, that is only half the battle as you also need them to write it in a timely manner (especially if you don't take my advice and don't get them started early). I asked two professors of mine to write recommendation letters for me months in advance and it was one of my best decisions through the process. I know of two different friends who had very bad experiences getting their recommendation letters on time simply because they waited last minute to ask for them.
  2. Don't start your personal statements last. Depending on how many schools you apply to, you may find yourself writing more than one statement. The two schools I chose to apply to had completely different questions for the personal statements and they each took a lot of thought. It is the only part of your application that truly reflects who you are so make it count. I had an okay LSAT, a pretty good GPA, and some great recommendation letters (but really, who isn't going to say nice things about you on those?), but none of those things reflect who I am as an individual. You have to make them see you for you in a 2 page document.
  3. Edit, edit, edit. Share your personal statement with anyone you think has some common sense or some grammar skills. Sometimes you'll get those people who will tell you everything looks great, but hopefully you'll get more people who will tell you, "maybe you should say this" or  "this sentence doesn't flow well" or even "are you sure you want to include that in this statement?" There is a fine line between telling your story and telling way too much of it- so be careful.
  4. Don't forget you need a resume. This was something that for some reason I didn't even consider until I saw that it was required for all applications. Resumes can be extremely time consuming, especially if you want to correctly format it and make sure you aren't forgetting any important info. 
  5. Send in your applications early. Seriously. If you wait to turn in your application way after the start date you are ultimately cutting yourself short. Early applications show the school you are responsible, organized, prepared, and that you really want to go there. Late applications (though you can still be accepted) are more likely to show that you were either undecided about law school (or their school), unorganized, etc. You get the point. Just turn them in early.
  6. The waiting game. Just like with the LSAT there is a long wait to know whether or not you were accepted into a law school. When my first letter came in the mail, I got that feeling that you get if you've ever been pulled over by a cop. When I realized it was an acceptance, it was better than Christmas. As I mentioned before, I only applied to the two schools I was sure I wanted to go to. I was accepted to the one I am currently going to, but was wait listed (then later accepted) to the second school. Even though the school I was accepted to originally was my first choice, I was still bummed about the initial wait list for the second school. Always apply to more than one school because you really never know what may happen... it's always a good thing to have choices. 
That's all I can think of at the moment.

-L 


#lawschool #LSAT